Saturday, April 16, 2011

Journey to Roma.

I have been to Rome twice before, but this time was different.  I saw a different side of Rome than I had before.

Before, Rome was a city full of frantic tourists, locals selling bothersome noisemakers, and buses demanding claustrophobic attacks.  Yes, it had the historic coliseum, people in love, and illustrious pasta, but it was not the city I now love.  Rome's substance was uncovered for me through my professor knowledge and by allowing myself to get lost in its streets.

Because these days were packed, I’ll pick a few of the things that changed my mind about Rome...

-The Trevi fountain at 2 am, absent of tourists.  The lighting and friends made it perfect.
-The market with locals buying their meals for that day.  Everything fresh, everything unlike American grocery stores.   
-The mysterious churches that you would never think to go in, but when you do you find hidden gems of art and architecture that deserve to be noticed.
-The magic of the river with trees as your rooftop.
-The surplus of piazzas, each encompassing their own performance.  I saw an opera concert, a painting expo, a dance number, and a magic show all in one night.
-Carravagios paintings that refuse to conform to the artwork of the time.  They are rich with messages, and are created not for the rich, but for the poor and needy.   It was a breath of fresh air seeing these.

I wish I had a pedometer on me because I think I would win a contest (if there is one) for the most steps in a week’s time, but it was all worth it.  Rome, you are now one of my favorite cities.  I’ll be back soon :)

This week I will be doing a 6 by 5 ft drawing of one of my favorite place in Orvieto and is a bit daunting.  It is for my final for drawing class and I have yet to start so knowing me, I won't be updating before thats done.  Until then, know that you all are missed here in Italy!

“Somewhere we know that without silence words lose their meaning, that without listening speaking no longer heals, that without distance closeness cannot cure.”


Some Pictures from Rome...
St. Peter's.

On the Bridge of Angels.




The Vatican.

We matched.


1 comment:

  1. Carly, your photos are beautiful! I'm glad you had such a magical time in Rome. Miss you loads! Hope your drawing final goes well!

    ReplyDelete